We will aggressively empower one billion kids to become better global citizens, through solving global challenges with emerging technology.
With technology increasingly changing the business landscape, and the impact of rising global challenges, students need the expertise and mindset for innovation, problem-solving, and leadership. To give them that, we need to create alignment between students, teachers, parents, institutions and industry, creating the basis for prosperity, growth and better equipped global citizens.
STEAM is a pathway to increase economic competitiveness. Art and design provide real solutions for our everyday lives, it distinguishes products in a global marketplace, and creates opportunities for socioeconomic growth. Design is increasingly becoming a key differentiator for technology startups and products. Apple is the most valuable company in the world because it has expertly employed STEAM methods.
What is OpenSTEAM?
A platform for free and low-cost educational tools that focuses on solving our modern global challenges
STEAM is education that focuses on Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts and Math
The Open Source model is a decentralized development model that encourages open collaboration and sharing
OpenSTEAM is our program to crowdsource a STEAM platform that is Open Source and able to build a community much like Wikipedia, MIT’s OpenCourseWare, Khan Academy and OpenStax maintained by Rice University
OpenSTEAM is unique due to it’s focus on applied and immersive learning around the technologies of our near future: Artificial Intelligence (AI), Internet of Things (IoT), Robotics, Virtuality and Augmented Reality
WHAT WE'VE ACHIEVED
- Launched STEAM program at NASA Space Apps Challenge NYC, April 2016 with IBM, SpaceX, Wolfram
- Mainstage presentation and Innovation Lab showcase at Singularity University Spring 2016
- OpenSTEAM Maker Day in partnership with NYC DoE, business leaders and Makeosity in September 2016
- Open Innovation Day with multiple stakeholders including the NYC DoE, teachers, parents and business leaders
- OpenSTEAM Pak Internet of Things (IoT) Prototype Designed and Engineered
WHAT IS NEXT?
- The three Day Open Innovation Session to co-design the future platform for OpenSTEAM in 2017
- Raise $5M in funding
- Commercialize OpenSTEAM Pak prototyping kits
- Develop a Crowdfunding campaign
You can make a difference. Sponsor a child, teacher or innovator to participate in the OpenSTEAM Innovation Sessions in 2017.
We are looking for the disrupters, the mavens, and the rebel teachers. Do you have great insight into how education could work if you were allowed to break the norms?
We have two ways to get involved as an individual or as a sponsor. In order to have as many teachers, students, parents, administrators, and artists attend, we are offering sponsorship by companies or individuals.
If you are a student, teacher or innovator who would like to attend the OpenSTEAM Innovation Sessions please apply here.